The Naked Sun
Delia created the sounds effects and music sequences for the BBC TV adaptation of Isaac Asimov's book The Naked Sun, directed by Rudolph Cartier for the BBC TV series Out Of The Unknown in which "Detective Baley must solve a murder on the planet Solaria, where reclusive people have their every need attended to by robots."
- Heat Haze (00:58)
- Frozen Waste (01:08)
- Icy Peak (00:46)
Times refer to the audio of the BFI's DVD.
- 01. Prologue (00:33.50-00:40.00)
Made with three copies of what was later republished as Heat Haze. The overdubbed burst of the Radetsky March is played as Baley enters the United States Department of Justice in Washington D.C.
- 02. The Solarian Transport Capsule in motion (03:59.50-07:13.00)
- 03. Making contact with Doctor Thool (09:08.50-09.36:50)
- 04. Making contact with Mrs Delmarre (12:59.80-13:03.50)
- 05. Dramatic crescendo (16:09.60-16:16:50)
- 06. Gruer is poisoned (18:28.62-18:37.95)
- 07. Scene change (26:02.00-26:04.50)
- 08. Contact with Doctor Leebig (27:46.00-27:52.50)
- 09. She hated her husband (29:54.65-30:02.32)
- 10. Landscape, peaceful and serene (30:02.30-34.04.30)
- 11. Earth contact from Undersecretary Minnim (35:20.78-35:53.43)
- 12. Scene change + busy, high pitched note (36:15.50-36:40.80)
p.60 Scene 17: INT. THE PURPLE ROOM "MUSIC: Busy, high pitched note" ROBOTS: Contact Dr Leebig! Contact Dr Thool!
- 13. Removing the robot's arm (39:49.27-39:53.80)
- 14. Filler ()
- 15. Crash End (42:47.64-43:11.38)
p.69 Music: "CRASH - END" BALEY: You fool - it's a robot!
- 16. Epilogue (43:16.00-48:27.70)
p.69 TELECINE 6: Ext Solariam landscape. Day. BALEY and GLADIA meet. MUSIC: THE LANDSCAPE BUT IN A SAD, MINOR KEY BALEY: I'm seeing you? [...] p.74 MUSIC: CRESCENDO SIMILAR TO PAGE 9 BUT INCREASING TRIUMPHANTLY ENDS WITH A GREAT CLIMAX
- All of Folder TRW 6891, containing the rehearsal script (DD151706 to DD152242) and the following:
DD152319: Handwritten notes
DD152409: "MASTERS: LIBRARY TAPE 1" 1-18
DD152422: "MASTERS: LIBRARY TAPE 1" 19-32
DD152445: "LIBRARY TAPE 2 - MASTER"
DD152500: Notes for sound creation
DD152547: List of musical elements M1 to M17
DD152604: List of musical elements M18 and M19 and notes
DD152618: Notes for effects M1-M17
DD152628: Notes for TK3, TK5, TK6 with precise timing
DD152646: Diagrammatic scores
DD152702: Notes "Tues 23rd "beautiful bird babies" technique/theory"
DD152739: Schedule p.1 "FIRST RECORDING DAY: Thursday, 8th August"
DD152748: Schedule p.2 "FIRST RECORDING DAY: Thursday, 8th August"
DD152807: Schedule p.3 "SECOND RECORDING DAY: Friday, 9th August"
DD152816: Schedule p.4 "SECOND RECORDING DAY: Friday, 9th August"
- Broadcast on the BBC on 18th February 1969.
- According to the Internet Movie Database, "This episode was wiped by the BBC and no copy of it is known to exist."
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6891: "4 reels, master and makeup".
- There is a reconstruction with the original sound on a DVD from the British Film institute.
- The audio from the reconstruction DVD is available as a 400MB WAV file on dropbox.com
- The BBC Broadcast Archive contains a tape of the sound only:
Item: 2B00E8BFB_001 ID: LDP9232W Title: OUT OF THE UNKNOWN: THE NAKED SUN Broadcast: 18/02/69 Catalogue: LONPROG Catalogue Page: 9894831 Item Duration: 00:49:32.000+01:00 Subject: Science fiction mystery drama 'The Naked Sun' by Isaac ASIMOV. NB:ONLY SOUND REMAINS Name: PATRICK, Roy; CARGILL, David; ASIMOV, Isaac (AUT); NOBLE, Trisha; HALLETT, Neil; LEIGH-HUNT, Ronald; STASSINO, Paul; MAXWELL, Paul; MULLER, Robert (SCR); ROBINSON, John; CARTIER, Rudolph (DIR); COLLINGS, David; JAEGER, Frederick; HICKS, John; BURRELL, Sheila; HARDY, Raymond; WEATHERUP, James (DGN); TAYLOR, Gerald; CHITTY, Erik; BROMLY, Alan (PRD); MARTIN, John Scott
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 BBC Archive page for Out of the Unknown: The Naked Sun, moved to gettyimages
- ↑ DD152319
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Naked Sun: Adaptations on en.wikipedia.org
- ↑ DD073013 DD073025: Memo about renaming The Naked Sun effects for reissue on vinyl.
- ↑ Audio12, personal communication.
- ↑ The play was made according to the later "camera script", which omitted some sequences present in the rehearsal script. [Colin Cutler, personal communication].
- ↑ Out of the Unknown: The Naked Sun on imdb.com
- ↑ The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6891.