It Was a Solid Killing Match
Delia created music and effects known as "It Was a Solid Killing Match" for a 55-minute BBC film Monty Returns to El Alamein, an outside broadcast for TV produced by Ray Colley for which the "Film and music editor" credit goes to Norman Matthews but Delia is never mentioned.
In the programme, Field Marshall Montgomery returns to the battle fields of El Alamein and describes the conditions they lived through and the tactics used to win this key battle of World War II. He also mentions his view of “national and personal tastes in fighting” in which “Australians like a "solid killing match".”
The programme is the cover story of Radio Times issue #2292 for programmes broadcast from 14-20th Oct 1967 and its catalogue entry at the Imperial War Museum reads:
Main title: MONTY RETURNS TO EL ALAMEIN Catalogue number: PMM 16 Production date: 1967-10-19 Place made: GB Creator: BBC Television (Production company) Colley, Ray (Production individual)
The film contains the following music and composited effects. The dissolvences and scene changes are obviously Delia's work; other parts may be hers or may have been assembled by the film and sound editor.
- 00:15-01:44 Intro
- 02:46-05:34 It Was A Solid Killing Match
- 12:46-13:08 Dissolvence
- 17:35-17:43 Dissolvence (same as before, but worse quality)
- 22:49-24:16 A Tremendous Artillery Crash
- 36:10-36.20 Tel-el-Aqqaqir scene change
- 43:32-43:53 Rommel Smashed in Battle (also present at the end of the Intro)
- Broadast on the 19th October 1967 on BBC1.
- The BBC Sound Archive tape TRW 6718 is missing.
- The copy on 16mm film at the Imperial War Museum has been digitized but is not yet viewable on their web site. “The Film Archive offers a limited bespoke viewing and copying service for museums, armed forces, veterans and their immediate family, family history researchers, students and filmmakers involved with the IWM Short Film Festival. For details of these services and expert advice on accessing the IWM film collection for such purposes please contact email@example.com IWM is a charity, and we depend on supporters like you to help us care for and display our exceptional collections. Please donate today.”
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Monty Returns to El Alamein on film.iwmcollections.org.uk
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6718.
- ↑ The credits at the end of the film.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Monty Returns To El Alamein on iwm.org.uk
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The entry for Radio Times #2292 on radiotimesbacknumbers.com
- ↑ Monty Returns to El Alamein on the BBC Genome Project.
- ↑ Personal communication.
- ↑ http://www.iwm.org.uk/research/research-facilities Imperial War Museum Research Facilities: Film Archive.