Aztec is Delia's name for a series of pieces she created for a 1969 episode of the BBC series Chronicle entitled "The Realms of Gold" written and introduced by John Julius Norwich and produced/directed by Kenneth Shepheard.
It often happens that my music is used without my knowledge. [...] a few years ago I heard my music on The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I wrote to the Producer who said 'Yeah, it's called Dreaming'. I've never done anything called that. They had picked out a piece which I wrote for a programme about the Aztec and Mayan civilisations. They put a new title on it and used it behind Peter Jones' voice.
Delia started work in October 1968 and the programme was broadcast on 8th February 1969.
The end credits include:
- Electronic Music by Delia Derbyshire, Radiophonic Workshop
No Seconds What -- ------- ---- 01 000.00-020.00 Chronicle Title Theme 02 141.37-240.59 Mayan architecture 03 481.62-527.42 The Aztec Empire 04 572.49-633.42 Aztec Culture at Tenochtitlan 05 674.57-718.95 Human Sacrifice and Aztec Gods 06 764.08-804.52 Portents of Doom 07 1035.50-1048.09 Running Red with Human Blood 08 1419.51-1453.33 Between Two Great Volcanoes 09 1833.28-1879.23 Five human hearts, still warm and steaming 10 1901.82-1925.64 Skull racks 11 2010.00-2050.15 Exquisite featherwork 12 2083.33-2117.78 The Smoking Mirror 13 2330.48-2359.48 La Noche Triste 14 2580.81-2707.69 The Final Assault, Impaled heads and the Defeat of the Aztecs 15 2745.11-2782.93 The Fall of Tenochtitlan 16 2887.28-2910.12 What Remains is Regret
- 01. Chronicle Title Theme
- 02. Mayan architecture
- 03. The Aztec Empire
- 04. Aztec Culture at Tenochtitlan
- 05. Human Sacrifice and Aztec Gods
- 06. Portents of Doom
- 07. Running Red with Human Blood
- 08. Between Two Great Volcanoes
- 09. Five human hearts, still warm and steaming
- 10. Skull racks
- 11. Exquisite featherwork
- 12. The Smoking Mirror
- 13. La Noche Triste
- 14. The Final Assault, Impaled heads and the Defeat of the Aztecs
- 15. The Fall of Tenochtitlan
- 16. What Remains is Regret
- Broadcast on the 8th February 1969.
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6955: "Cortez and the Conquest of Mexico"
- In the Attic Tapes on DD222.
- The episode is included as an extra on Doctor Who: The Aztecs Special Edition DVD, available at bbcshop.com
- The episode is also available as a torrent