Chronicle is Delia's 1969 title music consisting of a 22-second trumpet fanfare for a BBC series of programmes of the same name.
The most successful TV title music that I've composed is probably Chronicle.
-- Delia in the Soundhouse interview
Robin Carmody dates Chronicle to 1969, which corresponds with its tape catalogue entry's date of Jan 1969 and the date on Delia's manuscript headed "CHRONICLE TITLE" of the 1st February 1969.
The Performing Right Society's list of works by Delia Ann Derbyshire has:
Title: Chronicle Writer(s): Derbyshire Delia Ann Publisher: MS Work number: T-011.017.256-9 3025770P Type: 00/90 [?] Creation date: 4 January 1986
- Broadcast from 1969 onwards as the title music of episodes in the BBC TV series Chronicle.
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6991: "Chronicle Title"
- Released in 1979 on BBC Radiophonic Workshop 21.
- Released in 2008 on The BBC Radiophonic Workshop - A Retrospective with brutal noise reduction that removes much of the top end.
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
Delia also created music for several programmes in the series:
- Chronicle: The Gate of Hell, broadcast 13 May 1967.
- Chronicle: The Realms of Gold, broadcast 8 Feb 1969.
- Chronicle: The Peninsular War ("Leopards from the Sea"), probably broadcast in 1971, maybe on the 2nd of May.
- Chronicle: Pompeii, probably first broadcast in 1974.
- Chronicle Magazine: Egypt, broadcast on 25th August 1972.
She also appears to have created a new signature tune for the programme The Daily Chronicle for 1966:
This new tune, which you will soon hear, has been composed by an English woman, Delia Derbyshire. [...] This new melody is not played by instruments. It has been made by artificially produced tones in the Electronic Workshop of the BBC. Are the older ones amongst us going to lament this fact? The world of 1966 is no longer the world of 1940. We can only come to terms with it when we accept this.
- Wee also have sound houses
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6991.
- DD114048 DD114058: Delia's manuscript for "Chronicle title" dated 1.2.69.
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6630: "Chronicle: Gate of Hell, by Delia Derbyshire (?)"
- Chronicle Episode List] on imdb.com
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7293.
- TRW 7293's catalogue entry is dated December 1970.
- DD145330: "Chronicle: Pompeii / Final dubbing script"
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7636: "Chronicle Magazine: Egypt".
- Undated Daily Chronicle transcript (WAC R97/9/1) from the BBC Written Archives Center, cited in Special Sound, p.120. All other items from WAC R97/9/1 are dated May 1963.