Shadow of the Pharoah
In 1972, Delia created sound for Shadow of the Pharoah, a radio drama by Victor Pemberton and David Spencer produced by Graham Gauld, described as an "exciting adventure story set in ancient times" and consisting of six 27-minute episodes.
Musical elements consist of a few notes on solo trumpet, a close-harmony fanfare played live on a handful of trumpets and a single trumpet note at the very end, plus reverb on some voices and a few sound effects. The City of Thebes and Music! And a Sweet Smell! are the most characteristically Delian music, while the Cheeps and The Lotus Pool effects are cute.
The closing credits make no mention of any composer, of "Music by..." or anything similar.
1. Into the Shadow 00:03-00:08 solo trumpet fanfare 4-1 00:18-00:22 solo trumpet fanfare 2-1 00:49-01:05 poly trumpet fanfare 01:31-01:36 Cheeps 05:09-05:51 flute solo in b/g to speaking 19:29-19:55 "The City of Thebes": trumpet soundscape (*) 26:30-26:38 closing trumpet note 2. Beware the Serpent 00:00-00:17 poly trumpet fanfare 05:49-07:16 theme from "Towards Tomorrow" as the strange music of the enemies 06:57-07:10 high-pitched effect 21:11-22:10 The Lotus Pool FX 26:41-26:47 closing trumpet note 3. The Black Tomb of Osiris 00:00-00:17 poly trumpet fanfare 01:05-03:53 "Music! And a sweet smell!" (*) 26:48-27:03 extended closing trumpet note 4. The Eye of the Sky God 00:00-00:17 poly trumpet fanfare 11:36-12:20 flute solo in b/g to speaking 26:36-26:44 closing trumpet note 5. Into Battle 00:00-00:17 poly trumpet fanfare 02:06-02:13 mono trumpet salute with a single echo 20:28-20:33 "What in Seth's name is that?": Trumpet with tremolo FX 26:30-26:52 Grandiose big-band closing 6. Out of the Shadow 00:00-00:17 poly trumpet fanfare 15:59-16:13 mono trumpet salute with multiple echoes 19:36-19:42 mono trumpet salute (single clean version) "The Priests of Sobek" 24:58-25:04 mono trumpet salute (clean fading to cheers) 26:02-26:20 poly trumpet fanfare (*) Delian parts
The City of Thebes
Music! And a Sweet Smell!
- Broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on 30th September 1972 at 16:30. on the BBC Genome Project]
- In the BBC Sound Archive on 2 reels of tape TRW 7637.
- Appears to be archived on otronmp3.com at 32kbps and on otrrlibrary.org at 56kbps. They appear to be the same recording, and the otron one seems to be a recompression of the otrrlibrary one as it is a fraction of a second shorter and the waveforms seem rougher.
- Victor Pemberton's page on suttonelms.org.uk
- The end credits for each episode.
- Graham Gauld Radio Plays on suttonelms.org.uk
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7637.
- [https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/4654626d4e1142ec815ccc48d71e2a45 Shadow of the Pharoah