Delia created music for The Autocrat, an Arts & Education Feature for radio written and produced by Paul D'Andrea and directed by Michael Rolfe. The "entry date" for its tape is April 1971.
THE AUTOCRATS BY PAUL D'ANDREA - This play is based on an actual incident recorded in 1720, when a ship from Beirut was refused admission to the port of Cagliari in Sardinia. The Viceroy of the port refused to grant admittance, giving as a reason a dream he had had of a ship carrying the plague. In the words of D'Andrea, “...the play concerns an executive intellect being confronted with a manifestation of insurrection.” Directed by Michael Rolfe of the BBC with three of the BBC's finest actors: David Brierley as the Adjutant; Garard Green as St. Remys; Jumoke Debayo as Palla.
The play is almost all spoken voice with a few "flare" effects (which sound like bursts of filtered noise) and Delia contributes two pieces of music, one as the Intro before the speaking starts and one as the tail-out, again without a voiceover.
The play's copyright is owned by its author and producer Paul D'Andrea who also says: “If you come across any opportunities for broadcast or other presentation, either commercial or not-for-profit, do follow up. It's work that should be known. Delia's "Rat Attack" (33:00 to 35:19) is a masterpiece.”
- Does not seem to have been broadcast by the BBC.
- “In the early to mid 70's, National Public Radio and the National Endowment for the Arts
financed the production of a series of radio plays, some of which were purchased from the BBC, and it was broadcast by KRAB-FM, a NPR affiliate at that time on 28th April 1974 at 7:30pm,, 5th October 1974 at 8:30pm, 30th April 1976 at 2:00pm and 18th March 1977 at 7:30pm.
- Dozens of programmes in the "Earplay" series are available at
http://otrrlibrary.org -> Series beginning with 'E' -> Earplay NPR
but they do not include The Autocrat.
- The BBC Sound Archive's tape TRW 7379 is missing.
- Paul D'Andrea has kindly digitised his master tape and given permission for the Delian audio to be included here.
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7379.
- The end credits to the radio play run: "The Autocrat was written by Paul D'Andrea".
- Personal communication from Paul D'Andrea, September 2016.
- Personal communication from Paul D'Andrea, June 2017.
- KRAB.FM's programme listing for April 1974.
- The 28th April 1974 was indeed a Sunday.
- Nothing in the Radio Times listings at the BBC Genome Project matches it.
- The OTRR Library catalogue was last checked on 26 May 2016.