THE AUTOCRATS BY PAUL D'ANDREA - This play is based on an actual incident recorded in 1720, when a ship from Beirut was refused admission to the port of Cagliari in Sardinia. The Viceroy of the port refused to grant admittance, giving as a reason a dream he had had of a ship carrying the plague. In the words of D'Andrea, “...the play concerns an executive intellect being confronted with a manifestation of insurrection.” Direct- ed by Michael Rolfe of the BBC with three of the BBC's finest actors: David Brierley as the Adjutant; Garard Green as St. Remys; Jumoke Debayo as Palla.
Nothing in the Radio Times listings matches this. Michael Rolfe is credited with producing some radio programmes for Schools in 1971-2, mostly Stories and Rhymes for 7-9 year olds, while David Brierly and Garard Green act in Rolfe's Orange-Coloured Holiday Show broadcast on 27 December 1971.
- Presumably broadcast on the BBC at some point.
- Broadcast on KRAB.FM, Seattle on 18th April 1974 at 7:30pm.
- The BBC Sound Archive's tape TRW 7379 is missing.
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7379.
- KRAB.FM's programme listing for April 1974.
- The 28th April 1974 was indeed a Sunday.
- [http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&order=asc&q=%22Michael+Rolfe%22&yf=1971&yt=1972 Search results for "Michael Rolfe" on the BBC Genome Project.
- Orange-Coloured Holiday Show on the BBC Genome Project.