The Naked Sun
Delia created the sounds effects and music sequences for the BBC TV adaptation of Isaac Asimov's book The Naked Sun, directed by Rudolph Cartier for the BBC TV series Out Of The Unknown in which "Detective Baley must solve a murder on the planet Solaria, where reclusive people have their every need attended to by robots."
Delia's papers include the full rehearsal script as well as her notes and fragments of her score for it.
Musical annotations in the rehearsal script
p.5-9 Scene 3: the Solarian Transport Capsule in motion: "Music: A high humming note" "A Stab" "Music rising to a blinding crescendo; loud burst of electronic noise" p.14 Scene 4: Making contact with Doctor Thool p.23 Telecine 3: "Ext. Solarian landscape. Day." "Music: a high sustained chord indicating birds and flowers, a brook" BALEY and DANEEL walking. BALEY: "It's a lie!" p.25 "Music, Dramatic" BALEY: Air ... I can't breathe ... DANEEL: It was you who eished to get accustomed to the atmosphere, partner ... "Electronic music as camera pans towards sun, emerging from clouds." "CRESCENDO" End telecine 3. p.39-40 Scene 11: "Int. baby farm. Entrance hall. Day." "Music: Suspense" p.40-42 Scene 12: "Int. baby farm (foetal laboratory). Day." "Music indicating the wailing of babies" p.44 "Music: Excitement" crescendo to "CRASH" 30:02.4-34:04.4 p.54 Telecine 4 and 5: Baley and Gladia walking on the Solarian surface "Landscape peaceful and serene" ... p.56 GLADIA: Are you sick? "Music (Similar to page 25)" ... GLADIA: Close you eyes ... BALEY: No ... can't stand it ... p.57 "Crescendo and climax" End of telecine 5 and scene 15 p.60 Scene 17: INT. THE PURPLE ROOM "MUSIC: Busy, high pitched note" ROBOTS: Contact Dr Leebig! Contact Dr Thool! p.69 Music: "CRASH - END" BALEY: You fool - it's a robot! ... DANEEL: Partner Elijah - the human is dead. TELECINE 6: Ext Solariam landscape. Day. MUSIC: Tha landscape but in a sad, minor key. BALEY: I'm seeing you? ... p.71 GLADIA: I'm not afraid ... your hand ... MUSIC ENDS GENTLY End of telecine 7 and scene 20. p.74 (BALEY HAS STOOD UP AND STARTS TO MOVE THE SLIDING CEILING PANELS) MUSIC: CRESCENDO SIMILAR TO PAGE 9 BUT INCREASING TRIUMPHANTLY ... ENDS WITH A GREAT CLIMAX
- All of Folder TRW 6891, containing the rehearsal script (DD151706 to DD152242) and the following:
DD152319: Handwritten notes
DD152409: "MASTERS: LIBRARY TAPE 1" 1-18
DD152422: "MASTERS: LIBRARY TAPE 1" 19-32
DD152445: "LIBRARY TAPE 2 - MASTER"
DD152500: Notes for sound creation
DD152547: List of musical elements M1 to M17
DD152604: List of musical elements M18 and M19 and notes
DD152618: Notes for effects M1-M17
DD152628: Notes for TK3, TK5, TK6 with precise timing
DD152646: Diagrammatic scores
DD152702: Notes "Tues 23rd "beautiful bird babies" technique/theory"
DD152739: Schedule p.1 "FIRST RECORDING DAY: Thursday, 8th August"
DD152748: Schedule p.2 "FIRST RECORDING DAY: Thursday, 8th August"
DD152807: Schedule p.3 "SECOND RECORDING DAY: Friday, 9th August"
DD152816: Schedule p.4 "SECOND RECORDING DAY: Friday, 9th August"
- Broadcast on the BBC on 18th February 1969.
- According to the Internet Movie Database, "This episode was wiped by the BBC and no copy of it is known to exist."
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6891: "4 reels, master and makeup".
- Three of Delia's musical sequences were renamed by the BBC in 1976 and released on Out Of This World (1976) and Essential Science Fiction Sound Effects, vol. 2 (1993):
- Six fragments have survived as off-air recordings from when it was broadcast, of which one contains the tail of another of Delia's sounds for when, "On the planet Solaria, Baley – after passing out through exposure to the planets atmosphere - awakens in a house specially built for him by the Head of Solarian Security".
- The Naked Sun - Scene 4
- There is a reconstruction with the original sound on a DVD from the British Film institute.
- The audio from the reconstruction DVD is available on dropbox.com
- The BBC Broadcast Archive contains a tape of the sound only:
Item: 2B00E8BFB_001 ID: LDP9232W Title: OUT OF THE UNKNOWN: THE NAKED SUN Broadcast: 18/02/69 Catalogue: LONPROG Catalogue Page: 9894831 Item Duration: 00:49:32.000+01:00 Subject: Science fiction mystery drama 'The Naked Sun' by Isaac ASIMOV. NB:ONLY SOUND REMAINS Name: PATRICK, Roy; CARGILL, David; ASIMOV, Isaac (AUT); NOBLE, Trisha; HALLETT, Neil; LEIGH-HUNT, Ronald; STASSINO, Paul; MAXWELL, Paul; MULLER, Robert (SCR); ROBINSON, John; CARTIER, Rudolph (DIR); COLLINGS, David; JAEGER, Frederick; HICKS, John; BURRELL, Sheila; HARDY, Raymond; WEATHERUP, James (DGN); TAYLOR, Gerald; CHITTY, Erik; BROMLY, Alan (PRD); MARTIN, John Scott
- BBC Archive page for Out of the Unknown: The Naked Sun, moved to gettyimages
- The play was made according to the later "camera script", which omitted some sequences present in the rehearsal script. [Colin Cutler, personal communication].
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6891.
- DD073013 DD073025
- OUT OF THE UNKNOWN: The Naked Sun article by Colin Cutler in The illustrated Gazzette