Ways of Seeing
Delia is credited with "Special Sound" for the fourth and final part of a BAFTA award-winning 1972 BBC series of programmes Ways of Seeing, produced and directed by Michael Dibb, in which John Berger "analyses the images of advertising and publicity and shows how they relate to the tradition of oil painting - in moods, relationships and poses."
The Performing Right Society's list of works by Delia Ann Derbyshire has:
Title: Ways Of Seeing Writer(s): Derbyshire Delia Ann; Clarke Malcolm John Publisher; BBC Music Creation date: 8 March 1993
- Special sound: Delia Derbyshire, BBC Radiophonic Workshop
- Producer: Michael Dibb
- 05:50-09:30 "Publicity impersonates painting" (uninspired slow monophonic synth solo, probably Malcolm Clarke, not Delia)
- 09:53-10:31 "Publicity and oil painting use many of the same references" (similar piece for two voices)
- 13:42-16:00 Perfume bottling factory rhythmic loop
- 16:00-16:30 "The more monotonous the present, the more the imagination must seize upon the future" (ethereal chords similar to Amor Dei)
- 16:42-17:45 The Dream of Later Tonight
- 17:52-18:33 The Skin Dream
- 19:03-20:18 The Dream of a Faraway Place
James Percival says of these pieces:
'The Dream of Later Tonight' and 'The Skin Dream' use textures lifted virtually unchanged from 'The After Life' and 'Amor Dei' respectively, whilst 'The Dream of a Faraway Place' sets new (Delaware/Synthi 100?) material derived probably from some interesting spectral study (not found elsewhere on the Attic tapes as far as I recall) against the third section of Amor Dei ("I'd like to believe in God, but...")
- DD272: Backgrounds
Episode 2 intro
The Three Dreams Used In Advertising
The Dream of Later Tonight
The Skin Dream
The Dream of a Faraway Place
- on BBC2 on 29th January 1972 at 22.00
- on BBC1 on 15th August 1973 at 23.45
- on BBC2 on 20th August 1994 at 14.15
- on BBC4 on 1st October 2008 at 19.30
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 7448.
- Ways of Seeing, part 4 on youtube.com
- File:John Berger Ways of Seeing.torrent
- Three dreams:
Ways of Seeing - Three Dreams
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
- The programme's entry in the BFI Film & TV database
- BBC Radiophonic Workshop - surviving work entry for TRW 7448, credited to Malcolm Clarke/Delia Derbyshire
- Ways of Seeing on thebox.bz
- Ways of Seeing, part 2 on youtube.com
- Thanks to Alex J for spotting this.
- James Percival in a comment on facebook on 28th July 2018.
- Search Ways of Seeing at the BBC Genome Project
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 7448.