Circle of Light
Delia created the electronic soundtrack for the 32-minute film "Circle of Light: The Photography of Pamela Bone" (1972) directed by Anthony Roland, which won in the Short Film Art Section of the Cork Film Festival held 10-17th June 1972..
The music is a gentle half hour of real and electronic seascapes and birdsong on a evolving background of shaped noise, introduced and signed off by variants of the "lampshade" sound used in Blue Veils and Golden Sands.
The accompanying film is a sequence of wobbly zooms and pans on bleak seaside and woodland photographs, some of them beautiful.
This is the longest surviving single piece of Delia's music and from late in her musical career.
Elsa Stansfield is also credited for the music but it is unclear what she contributed to it.
- DD022: "Delia: Nature for Elsa From Kal" (Various tracks)
- DD023: "Delia: Nature for Elsa From Kal" (FX)
- The film can be viewed online if you have a Windows computer as pay-per-view at the Roland Collection. They still claim you can buy it on VHS for $109, but in 2006 Mr Roland in person cashed my check for £37.01 and never sent it, then ignored all reminders.
- The audio alone was released by Trunk Records in 2016.
- File:Circle of Light (Delia Derbyshire, Elsa Stansfield).ogg.torrent
Circle of Light
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
- 17th Cork Film Festival award winners, 1972.
- Film Board of Canada entry for St. Finbarr Statuette, shown at the same festival
- Circle of Light's page at the Roland Collection in their Landscape into Art and The Photographic Image sections.
- The original version of the film's page at The Roland Collection
- Circle of Light (Original Electronic Soundtrack Recording) on 12" vinyl and downloadable as MP3 or WAV. Their previous Delian release of Moogies Bloogies was missing the first minute of Delia's backing music alone and the downloads were of awful quality, with all the bass in one ear and all the treble in the other. If you decide to buy the downloads, do let me know if they are any good.