Le Pont Mirabeau
“it appears [to have been] written for a 1968 Schools Radio programme about Cubism in the series "Art and Design" [...] There is an off-air recording of most of this programme in the Manchester collection (DD263), and in Delia's realisation of Le Pont Mirabeau it's sung by White Noise vocalist John Whitman. The programme was written and narrated by Edward Lucie-Smith.”
The Radiophonic Database's entry for it is dated April 1968, her handwritten score for the song is dated August 1968. and it was first broadcast on 14th February 1969. Finally, after 7 years of uncredited silence, the Radio Times credits Delia with music:
Music by Delia Derbyshire, BBC Radiophonic Workshop
Delia's papers contain the complete typeset score for her musical setting of Apollinaire's poem of the same name, consisting of two verses with a chorus after each verse.
Here is a new typesetting of Delia's proof copy of the score, following Delia's typographical indications exactly and including her correction to the professionally typeset version.
In her handwritten manuscripts, the second verse has a different melody fitting the different words.
- the LilyPond source file
- a MIDI file that you can listen to
- An audio file of the MIDI file played on a cheesy electric piano
Le Pont Mirabeau (score)
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
DD115738: Typesetter's proof with Delia's pencilled correction
- First broadcast on 14th February 1969 at 14:20 on BBC Radio 4 and repeated on 24th and 31st October.
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6844: "Cubism - 'Art & Design'".
- On Attic Tape DD262: "Oranges and Lemons, Approaching the 70s copy, Cubism Song copy etc"
- On Attic Tape DD263: "Cubism prog": a BBC Programme about Cubism, including Le Pont Mirabeau.
For the availability of the programme in which it was used, see Cubism.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 James Percival's Feb 2012 message to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6844.
- ↑ DD115632: Manuscript for Le Pont Mirabeau, dated August 1968.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 [genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?media=radio&order=asc&q=cubism&yf=1968&yt=1969 Search results for "Cubism" in 1968-9] on the BBC Genome Project.
- ↑ DD115738: Proof copy of Delia's professionally typeset score for Le Pont Mirabeau