Great Zoos of the World
Delia created 36 seconds of "the most accurate set of animal noises ever created electronically" as the title music of the 1969 programme Great Zoos of the World produced by Barry Payne for BBC Network TV's Natural History Unit, Bristol.
I created the music for a TV series called Great Zoos of the World. The producer called the boss and said, “I want some music made from animal noises.” The boss replied “That's impossible! But if it's impossible, Delia can do it!” I sorted a tape of twenty-four animal noises into rhythmic ones and tuneful ones and they [?] put it all together. I was very proud of that.
In 1972 Delia created a new, stereo version called Great Zoo, with the same rhythm and melody but reworking and renewing the sounds.
- Broadcast on 5th July 1969.
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 7058, also on TRW 18.
- Stereo version in "Stereo Week - The Space Between" on tape TRW 7717.
- Released on BBC Radiophonic Workshop 21 in 1979.
- Released on The BBC Radiophonic Workshop - A Retrospective in 2008.