Mathematics Around You
Delia created "various openings and closings" for "Mathematics Around You", a BBC television series for schools produced by Andree Molyneux, aimed at age 7-9 and consisting of eight 20-minute episodes broadcast from 24th April-23rd June 1967.
Its tape's catalogue entry is dated 1st November 1966.
- Sorting: A children's birthday party provides some mathematical situations.
- Ordering: A small boy enjoys using mathematics when preparing for a jumble sale.
- Length: The adventure playground Is an exciting place for all kinds of measuring.
- Weight: Baking cakes, building a see-saw, weighing a guinea-pig - they are all part of a day's work for eight-year-old Kim.
- Containers: Measuring with water, sand, and cubes.
- Shapes: Shapes seen from the Thames.
- Surfaces: A school day for Chris and his friends Includes papering a Wendy house and roofing a hut.
- Looking Further: Lalitha's class prepares a play about a game of chess.
There is a bundle of Delia's manuscript papers, clipped together, for six programmes in a series about Mathematics. One sheet is headed "Maths Prog", and another bears the date "3.67".
DD123132: A crossed-out page of score fragments for "Pattern 1".
DD123149: "1 CONT.", "BASS"
DD123203: "PROG. 5", "Rhythm for prog. 3", "FLOUR BAGS N.U."
DD123220: "MATHS PROG 1 SEQ"
DD123227: "PROG 6 (1)"
DD123259: "PROG 6 (2)"
DD123247: "PROG 7"
- Broadcast from 24th April to 23rd June 1967 at 11.05am on BBC1.
- In the BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 6586.
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6586.
- "Mathematics Around You" summary page on www.broadcastforschools.co.uk
- "Mathematics Around You" detail page on www.broadcastforschools.co.uk
- Mathematics Around You on the BBC Genome Project.
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 6848.