The Tempophon is “a device with rotating heads that could change the pitch of a sound without modifying its tempo.”
Also known as the 'Springer machine', it was released in Germany in 1955 and was a tape machine add-on allowing independent time and pitch changes on analog tape via a rotating head block and electro-mechanical sound granulation.
- Ray White in The Workshop in 1976.
- A Chronology / History of Electronic and Computer Music and Related Events 1900-2014
- Chronologie de la musique electronique
- Daphne Oram And Delia Derbyshire: The BBC Radiophonic Workshop Gallery at reaktorplayer.wordpress.com
- Springer Tempophon article at icasea.blogspot.it