Time On Our Hands
Time On Our Hands is Delia's theme music, created in 1962, for a 70-minute BBC television documentary of the same name "on the problems of increased leisure in the automated world of the future. Pure electronic sound."
The programme was produced by Don Haworth and directed by Pieter Morpurgo and is described as a
Documentary made in 1963, which projected the viewer 25 years into the future to 14th Sept. 1988, to look back over the events of the past 25 years. With Kingsley Amis, Stafford Beer, Aldous Huxley, Franklin Medhurst and Raymond Williams.
Robin Carmody writes:
One of her earliest contributions - "Time On Our Hands" - is a superb subversion of a phrase which would normally evoke (especially in the context of 1962) new-found affluence, spare time and leisure, now rendered alienated, distant and isolated.
and Delia said:
I had only done one other television programme before Doctor Who, called Time On Our Hands, using beautiful abstract electronic sounds. So I was very inexperienced, but making something from nothing was my secret.
Under UK law, audio recordings made before 1963 are in the public domain.
DD161912: TOOH is mentioned in Delia's notes for Closed Planet
DD162136: Cue sheet (5 cues)
DD162151: Timings for "Sc 1 & 2", "Sc. 54" and "Close"
DD162408: "TOOH" Timing diagrams and descriptive text
DD162502: "TOOH" Tape lengths and timing diagram
DD162259: Diagram "(1)"
DD162222: Diagram "Page 2"
DD162212: Diagram "Page 3"
DD162447: "TOOH H Continuo tape 1 (loop)"
DD162239: "TOOH Q1 - Tape one / Tape 2 / Tape 3"
DD162347: "Tape 4, Lookings up" - Table of frequencies °Unused children llking up boshes on tape 4"
DD162324: "TOOH Q2" Chords and tunings
- First broadcast on 19th March 1963.
- Published as track 12 of the album BBC Radiophonic Workshop - 21.
- A longer track, 2:02 long, entitled Time On Our Hands (Titles And City Music), is included on The BBC Radiophonic Workshop - A Retrospective, which consists of the theme minus the last note of the fade-out, present on BBC Radiophonic Workshop - 21, spliced with City Music as if they were a single piece.
- In BBC Sound Archive on tape TRW 4060: Time On Our Hands
- In the BBC Sound Archive on TRW 4: "Examples of work 1961-1964".
from vinyl BBC Radiophonic Workshop - 21
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
- Two extracts of the programme are among the whitefiles' Radiophonic Workshop Videos, the first of 10 minutes with her title music and City Music, the second of 30 seconds with more of her music as the background.
Delia also made two pieces of incidental music for the programme:
- ↑ The Tape Library List.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The British Film Institute's Film & TV Database's entry for Time On Our Hands
- ↑ Robin Carmody in Wee also have sound-houses
- ↑ The Soundhouse interview
- ↑ The Open Music Archive's FAQ.
- ↑ The British Film institute's Film & TV Database's entry for Time On Our Hands - transmission dates
- ↑ The Tape Library List catalogue entry for TRW 4060.
- ↑ The Tape Library List catalogue entry for TRW 4.